Visual Aid & Technical Talk

Since all previous posts are audio based, this time, I decided to post pictures of gears, specs and explain things involved (from the pattern of questions asked, some of you really are clueless). Yes, my equipments are all cheap entry level stuff. Yes, each instrument recorded was played by me, manually. No sampling, software, or any computer generated stuff. And yes, all are being done in my room with no proper acoustic treatment. That explain the "noisy background". Pros, skip this. Seriously, I beg you.

Besides musical instruments, 3 main items are used in each recording

1) Mic - Sennheiser e818 S II
A reasonable dynamic mic. Failed to find technical sheet of it. Guess I need a better one. Currently eying on SM57 or maybe condensers.

2) Soundcard - M-Audio Fastrack USB
Cheapest recording soundcard available, with an XLR mic input and a 1/4 inch guitar input.

3) Headphone - AKG K-44
Im yet to buy my own monitor speaker, so for the time being, all sounds are monitored using this cheap headphone.

Workstation.JPG


For editing and mixing, I use Steinberg Cubase SX 3. Basically, I have to play and record each instrument, which I try my best to keep it in time. Repeat the same process with different instruments. Layered with other instruments and vocals. Adjust and balance volume of each layer. Add effects. And finally, render when its done. It really is a time consuming process. Took days, weeks or even month to complete with a good track. Me? I dont have that much of time. And its obvious from the previous sloppy recordings.

Recording.bmp

Looks complicated? Well, all I can say is that IT IS!


Next, musical instruments.

Instrument (recorded with)

1) Guitar - Cort MR710F
A very good Guitar, bought at a very reasonable price. Really appreciate it. So, Thank You! Its equipped with fishman electronics which made things easier as I dont need to mic it up. But still need better gears to make a more natural guitar sound.

Guitar.JPG

2) Tambourine - Toca 6" Jingle-Hit Tambourine
Not a proper tambourine as it was meant to be use with a drum stick, but like anyone can tell anyway?

Tambourine.JPG

3) Shakers - Egg & Cylinder
Might add Maracas in the near future

Shakers.JPG

4) Bongo - Toca Player's Series
New with this. Still learning. Might get a darabuka or djembe when bored with this.

Bongo.JPG

Instrument (yet to record with)

1) Electric Guitars with effects
This will definately create more headache. Because of that, I'm doing acoustic for the time being

2) Keyboard - Casio CTK-481
Well, still finding song that is playable. Sigh~

3) Drums & Percussion - Various
It really is hard to record these. Guess the pictures explain it better.

Bored? Well heres a picture to sum all things involved. Some of you will consider this as gear whoring, well.... it is!

Summary.JPG

P/S: Why? Why? Why? Sigh~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're sick, go find a cure

Anonymous said...

..the clueless really appreciates this...-asideofuididntknow-